Insect Facts we Bet you Didn’t Know
Insects are a widely diverse group of critters which include ants, bees, flies, cockroaches, beetles and more. While you don’t want them invading your home there’s a lot of insect facts to learn about these six-legged bugs. No matter what species they all have a 3-segment body (head, thorax & abdomen) which is encased in a hard exoskeleton. However, insects are also extremely different and unique to their own habitat. Richmond Pest Control, pest exterminator in Southern NJ, highlights 25 cool insect facts you probably didn’t know!
25 Cool & Interesting Insect Facts
- Ants can live up to 30 years giving them the longest lifespan of all insect species.
- Dragonflies have existed for over 300 million years.
- Bugs have extremely strong wings made of cuticles, the strongest natural material in the world.
- Butterflies taste their food using their feet.
- A honeybee colony can make 220 jars of honey in a single year.
- Over 3,500 species of mosquitos exist in the world.
- Cockroaches can live up to 1 week without their head.
- Caterpillars have more muscles in their body than humans.
- Fruit flies were the first living creature sent to space in 1974.
- Fleas can jump up to 13 inches.
- Mosquitos are attracted to stinky feet.
- Grasshoppers existed before dinosaurs walked the earth.
- A ladybug can eat up to 5,000 insects in its life.
- Spiders are not insects.
- Only male crickets have the ability to chirp.
- All insects are cold blooded.
- Some queen termites can lay up to 40,000 eggs per day.
- Bees are found on every continent, except Antarctica.
- Ants can lift and carry up to fifty times their own weight.
- Insects have existed for 350 million years, while humans have only been on earth for 300,000 years.
- There are more kinds of beetles than all known species of plants.
- Ticks can grow from the size of a grain of rice up to that of a marble.
- On a gathering trip, bees can fly over 60 miles in a single day.
- To survive on frigid nights, may inspects can replace the water in their body with glycerol, which acts as an antifreeze.
- The oldest fossil discovered dates back 400 million years and is an insect known as a springtail.
Interesting Rodent Control Facts from a Professional Exterminator
Rodents have garnered a well-earned reputation as being one of the creepiest and most troublesome pest control issues homeowners are faced with. Mice and rats sneak into your home in search of shelter, food and a safe place to mate, which spells massive trouble for the unlucky house they end up in. Rodents are the most common pest control and extermination service called in by homeowners. Since we deal with them so frequently, you’d think we’d know all there is to know about these creepy creatures, but we don’t. Richmond Pest Control has highlighted several weird and fascinating facts about rodents below.
6 Weird Rodent Facts you Probably Didn’t Know
Small Rodents have Large Appetites: Despite their small bodies, mice & rats eat up to 20 times per day. With such large appetites, they will migrate in mass to food sources and stay there until it runs dry.
Rodents don’t Sweat or Vomit: This is one reason pest & rodent control companies choose to use poison to get rid of these pests. Once ingested, they do not possess the ability to get rid of it through sweat or vomit.
One Rodent can Spawn into One Hundred – Quickly: Rodents can begin to reproduce as young as two months old and repeat the cycle every three weeks. At that rate, a single mouse can give birth to as many as 100 babies in a single year.
Excellent Swimmers, Climbers & Jumpers: Mice & rodents are very agile on their feet. They can jump as high as 18 inches, wade through water for up to three days, and climb up and over almost any surface to escape or find food.
Rodents aren’t Potty Trained: They do not designate certain areas, rodents simply walk and go as they please. This leaves humans susceptible to hundreds of dangerous diseases including salmonella and Hantavirus. If you think you have a problem with rodents in your home, call our professional rodent control company today.
Lifespans are Short: Rodents that live in controlled environments can live up to two years or longer. In the wild, mice only live about five months due to predators.
Rodent Control Company in Atlantic City NJ
If rats or mice have found their way into your home, call the professional rodent control professionals at Richmond Pest Control. We’ll safely and effectively bait and remove these troublesome pests and relocate them to a more conducive environment. Richmond Pest Control services all townships within Atlantic County, NJ. Call 609-266-4200 to make an appointment today. For pest control services in Staten Island, NY, click here.
Top 5 Pest Control Myths Debunked
As a pest control company with over 25 years of hands-on experience, we’ve heard a lot of false claims, old wives tales and useless DIY methods. The internet lends to add even more to the growing list of pest control myths we try to debunk every day. Richmond Pest Control has put together our top 5 list of the most common pest control myths we come across all too often and we’re here to debunk and put an end to the rumor mill. Check out below some of the most common myths we’ve heard over the years.
Debunking the Most Common Pest Control Myths
Myth #1: If I don’t see any pest issues, I don’t need to call an extermination company.
Debunked: Termites and carpenter ants can be silently feasting on the interior walls of your home or business, while bed bugs are nocturnal and rarely seen. These silent pests can be wreaking havoc on your property under the radar. It is important to have a regular pest control inspection service to avoid an unforeseen infestation.
Myth #2: My Homeowners Insurance will Cover Pest Damage
Debunked: Carefully read your homeowners insurance policy to see exactly what (if anything) they cover in regards to pest damage. Mice chewing and damaging electric wires or termites causing structural destruction is often not covered. Many homeowners insurance policies exclude all termite and pest damage, because they deem it as preventable. Call 609-266-4200 to schedule regular pest control inspections.
Myth #3: DIY Pest Control Works as well as Professional Services
Debunked: If you’re just dealing with a few occasional kitchen ants, one or two spiders, even a stray moth it may not be necessary to call a professional pest control service. However, a more serious infestation requires more than a DIY can of bug spray and setting down some mouse traps. Our professional pest control company has the experience, skill and equipment to find, extract and prevent bug and rodent infestations.
Myth #4: Professional Pest Control Chemicals are Dangerous
Debunked: The times of pest control companies using harsh chemicals to get rid of pests is long behind us. Today’s pest control methods are safe for families and pets, yet highly effective in removing and prevent bugs and other intruders. Richmond Pest Control uses only the highest quality, environmentally friendly and safest methods of pest extraction and prevention.
Myth #5: They’ll Eventually Go Away
Debunked: While there is a miniscule change this may happen, it is not very common. Pests and rodents are known to have a rapid gestation cycle, which means they reproduce at an alarming rate. If left untreated, the infestation will spiral out of control. It is highly recommended to treat a pest problem at the first sign.
Atlantic City NJ Pest Control Services
To get the facts straight about pest control, call Richmond Pest Control today. We offer safe and effective extermination and removal for a wide variety of bugs, pests, rodents and wildlife. Our professional technicians service Atlantic County and Cape May County, NJ home and businesses. Call 609-266-4200 to schedule your consultation or service today!
Termite Facts from a Professional Extermination Company
Of all the pests your home or business is susceptible to, termites pose the most expensive and damaging threat to your property. Termites sneak into the structure of your building and feed on the wood, which can destroy the infrastructure of your home or business. However, beyond the fact that termites feed on wood, people do not know much else about these tiny pests. Richmond Pest Control of Brigantine, NJ has put together 10 little known termite facts. If you’re in need of termite extermination, please call 609-266-4200 immediately.
10 Little Known Termite Facts
- There are 50 species of termites in the United States alone and over 2,000 species of termites worldwide!
- Termites live in colonies with caste systems consisting of workers, soldiers and reproducers. Of the three castes, only the reproducers have the ability to see.
- Termites have yet to develop any resistance to pesticides, which is great for our Southern NJ pest control company.
- Termites never sleep; the soldiers eat and work 24/7 until they die.
- The only way to exterminate a colony is to hire a professional.
- A crack the width of a penny is enough space for a termite to invade your home. They live in these tiny crevices and cause damage to your home without you ever seeing them.
- Springtime is when termite colonies fester. The damp wood is ideal for these pests. Call our pest control company for an inspection & preventative treatment options in March/April.
- Termites help maintain nature’s balance: they decompose fallen trees in the forest which helps to enrich the soil, as well as decompose waste to benefit the surrounding wildlife.
- Termites don’t just eat wood, they’ll eat anything that contains cellulose. This includes wood, wallpaper, sheetrock, clothing, cardboard and more.
- Termites live in mounds or nests made of digested wood, mud and feces. The largest nest found was 42 feet tall!
Termite Extermination in South Jersey
Now that you know a little bit more about these destructive pests, it’s time to call our professional terminate extermination company. Our pest exterminator company services Atlantic City NJ and the surrounding areas of Southern NJ. Besides termites, we are EAP and NJ DEP licensed and certified to exterminate and prevent a large range of pests from fleas and bed bugs to ants, spiders, crickets, mice and wildlife pests as well. For questions on your specific pest problem or to book an appointment, call 609-266-4200.